Designed Eyes is conveniently located next to Baker’s Delight in Rosebud Beach Shopping centre near the entrance to Woolworths
We have a great range of sunglasses which are all suitable for prescription use. We carry sunglasses by Bill Bass which are both stylish, practical and well made. We also carry Oroton sunglasses and Dirty Dog.
We also have our own range of rimless wrap sunglasses which are both stylish and practical. We can fully customize your sunglasses to fit your face perfectly as well as doing specialist work like inserting jewels into your lenses.
The options for sunglass lenses are many and varied, however the lenses that give the best results by far are polarized lenses. Polarized lenses block glare in a very mechanical way, unlike non-polarised lenses that simply dull the overall brightness of what you are seeing. Polarized lenses have a thin film of polarizing material in the lens proper. The polarizing material has its molecules lined up similar to the look of a venetian blind. When light is reflected off a surface it is said to be polarised and when one of the planes of polarized light hits the polarizing film it is completely blocked. The result is much more comfortable vision in those very glarey situations where light is reflecting off primarily horizontal surfaces such as water, roads or other cars. To explore the effects of polarized lenses click here.
Below are two images taken on the beach opposite our office. Notice how in the photo on the right the reflections on the surface of the water have been absorbed? This is exactly how it is when you wear polarized lenses as this image has not been enhanced or altered in any way.
Drivewear lenses are another innovation from Younger Optics. They are both polarised and photochromatic using Transitions technology. The advantage with drivewear lenses is that even in dull or overcast situations comfortable vision can be attained whilst the advantages of polarisation remain, then when the conditions brighten up again the lenses darken to normal sunglass depth and unlike other Transitions lenses they react even behind the windscreen of your car!
Ultra violet protection is important but not difficult to obtain even with cheaper sunglasses. Long term UV exposure has been implicated in the development of eye diseases such as cataract, macula degeneration and pterigium, so it pays to stay protected. However UV is generally misunderstood by the general public. Firstly UV is invisible so it does not cause glare! Secondly, the tint of the lens has little to do with how well a lens absorbs UV radiation. A very dark glass lens will not protect you from UV anywhere near as well as a good quality clear spectacle lens! Any sunglass lens that we dispense for you here at Designed Eyes will have the best UV protection that is available.
The ultimate sunglasses
We can create the ultimate pair of prescription sunglasses specifically customized for you. The ultimate sunglasses will have the followng features:
- Nupolar or Drivewear lenses for the best glare and UV protection.
- They will be “wrap” in shape to prevent as much peripheral light as possible from getting in around the edge of the lens.
- The prescription will be “corrected” from the original to take into account the lens wrap, lens angle and distance from the eye to keep it true what the prescriber found.
- The back surface will have an anti reflective coating to absorb any reflections off the back surface of the lens which may bounce back into the eye. It ensures crisp clear vision with no “ghosting”.
- The lenses will be customized to your face size by using rimless eyewear
- The lenses will be made of unbreakable “Trivex” material for the ultimate in reliability and strength. We guarantee Trivex against splitting and cracking for life!
- The frame material must be adjustable to ensure the perfect fit.